Warriors Without Borders was established immediately after Putin’s unjustified and unprovoked invasion and attack on the sovereign nation of Ukraine on February 24, 2022. In the days following the invasion, Ukraine set up the International Legion of the Territorial Defense Forces of Ukraine, and the Legion has received over 20,000 applications to volunteer, with an estimated 6,000 from Americans volunteering. Warriors Without Borders was established to support American Frontline Volunteers risking their lives to defend and protect civilian lives.
- Provide a secure online hub and meeting place for Americans combat veterans who are volunteering to go to the frontlines in Ukraine with the International Legion or work in neighboring countries in support of humanitarian organizations or journalists.
- Raise funds to cover Frontline Volunteers’ direct deployment expenses, such as airfare, local train tickets or rental cars, gear and supplies, medical kits, etc.. Funds will not be used for weapons or ammunition.
- Serve as a liaison with the Ukrainian International Legion, to help vet and screen volunteers, including providing an embedded advisor to help the Ukrainian Military assess Volunteers’ skill sets and assign and use them in an effective way.
- Establish and staff an Operations Center in Poland to serve as a transit spot, supply point, communications hub, and location tracking center for Frontline Volunteers going to and from Ukraine.
- Respond to media inquiries on behalf of individuals on the ground at the frontlines who cannot speak to the press or make posts online without endangering themselves and their mission.
Founder Laura Engelbrecht spent over a decade on the frontlines of combat zones, from Congo to Iraq to Afghanistan to Somalia. As a Frontline Civilian, she has experience operating as an individual and leading teams in support of military and humanitarian operations, to recruit, train, deploy, and provide command/control, particularly in situations where traditional military and logistics support structures are not available. Three days after the war in Ukraine started, she volunteered for the International Legion.